Uterine Fibroid Embolization (UFE)
A Nonsurgical Alternative to Hysterectomy
Uterine fibroid embolization (UFE) is a procedure that saves many women from surgery and the lengthy recovery involved with hysterectomy.
It shrinks uterine fibroids by interrupting the blood supply to the fibroid tumor.
The procedure is minimally invasive and performed by an interventional radiologist.
If hysterectomy has been recommended to you for fibroid disease, it may be beneficial to get a second opinion with an interventional radiologist.
Advantages of UFE over hysterectomy:
- Non-surgical localized treatment which presents less risk for internal post-operative bleeding and scarring
- Spares tissue by destroying fibroids without removing uterus
- Typical hospital stay is only one night, compared to longer after surgery
- Does not require general anesthesia
- Has a high success rate, with 85-90% of women reporting relief of symptoms and low rate of recurrence
For more information about UFE:
For more information, including questions about referrals, please contact us at:
Or, visit our Contact page.
< Return to Interventional Radiology